candlesticks - maybe Sheffield - no marks, just 937 V

Hi -

I have a matching pair of ornate silver (on copper) candlesticks - 11" tall / 5 1/4" base. The only marks on the candlesticks are the number 937 with a letter V beneath it and these are found down in where the bottom of the candle would sit. Somewhere I read that all English silver is hallmarked. Yet I was told by an antiques dealer that it’s not uncommon to find fine pieces of unmarked English silver. I do see copper showing through in areas that are high and susceptible to wear from handling and polishing; the candlesticks are, however, in overall very good condition. I see an occasional scratch, a couple of tiny dents (as though a ball point pen point dented it), and some irregularity to the removable top piece, which I believe to be a bobeche. They are heavy, but I’m sure that’s from the black stuff I see through the holes in the bottom, which I imagine is deliberate weighting.

Before I can go to “what’s it worth”, I need to know what I have. Is it Sheffield? Does anyone know the significance of the numbers?

I have many photos, so if you need more please let me know.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give :slight_smile:
Marcy
bottom_and_bobeche_491x352.jpg
numbers_where_candle_sits_500x500.jpg
pair_straight_on_adj_500px.jpg