www.silver-collector.com
ask questions to antique silver experts
homeHome    FAQFAQ    SearchSearch   

Silver Collector is now Closed

Its been a good run but these days there are more active forums for silver collectors.
If you need help reading silver marks we recommend you visit 925-1000

Thanks to everyone who's contibuted over the years, especially our fantastic moderators.

Elkington silver plate Tea caddy?

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Home -> What is it? -> Elkington silver plate Tea caddy?

candleman

Posted: 15/07/2009 
Post subject: Elkington silver plate Tea caddy?

Hi guys,

Iím new to this forum so this is a first post for me.

My daughter has inherited a silver plate box (see photos) which we are trying to get some history on.

I believe the makers mark to be Elkingtonís & Co, Birmingham, Date code R either 1877 or 1903 (both are letter R I believe) and my guess is this is a tea caddy.

There is also another engraved mark below the pattern No. that I would like to know the origins of. Would this be the artists mark or perhaps the sellers mark?

Have I got these details right? If anyone can shed some light on this piece for us, we would be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance.

Description:Is this as we think, a tea caddy?

1.1.JPG

Description:View on underside showing Makers marks etc.

1.2.jpg

silvermakersmarks

Post subject: re: Elkington silver plate Tea caddy?

I don't think that the R is a date code in this case as they normally have a surround of some particular shape around the letter indicating the series. The other mark is a design registration mark and shows that the design was registered on 12th May 1870, so the date of manufacture would be after that.

The box could well be a tea caddy, however the design elements: cherubs, flowers, butterflies, suggest to me a more overtly feminine market, so perhaps a trinket or dressing table box.
candleman

Post subject: re: Elkington silver plate Tea caddy?

Many thanks. Thats interesting. The box was given to my mum when she worked in service in the early 50's by the lady of the house, either as a christmas gift, or a leaving present. She was told then that it was quite old.

Is anyone aware if there are catalogues surviving about Elkingtons products, I would love to know more.

Page 1 of 1 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: