www.silver-collector.com
ask questions to antique silver experts
homeHome    FAQFAQ    SearchSearch   

Silver Collector is now Closed

Its been a good run but these days there are more active forums for silver collectors.
If you need help reading silver marks we recommend you visit 925-1000

Thanks to everyone who's contibuted over the years, especially our fantastic moderators.

Alfred James How

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Home -> Photographing Silver -> Alfred James How

wwatson

Posted: 03/11/2009 
Post subject: Alfred James How

I have got a silver cream jug as shown in the picture. It is clearly hallmarked London 1902. The makers mark is AJH, as seen in the other photo which, after much searching, I have found to be Alfred James How, who was registered in London 1897. However I can't find anything else about him. Please can anyone tell me more ? The jug appears to me to possibly be a copy of a much earlier one ( C1750?). Can somebody enlighten me on that also please ? [ I hope I have attached the photos correctly - this is my first attempt at a posting ]

Description:AJH makers mark

AJH-AlfredJamesHow.jpg

Description:AJH cream jug

IMG_0091B&W2.jpg

Posted: 28/11/2012 
Post subject: re: Alfred James How

Do you still have this jug since I believe my grandfather made it
radian

Posted: 26/04/2013 
Post subject: re: Alfred James How

Hi Tony,

I have a collection of stock pins and other vintage equestrian bits and bobs and I have come across many that are signed AJH. The pins are too small for a full maker's mark so I wouldn't be able to compare with the one above.

I have had great difficulty tracking down more info on the maker. Woulld this have been your grandfather or did he not produce those sorts of items?

I have a number in my collection including a very fine silver stag head pin and some clearly more budget rolled gold ones with foxes' heads, so I would imagine that who ever the maker was, stock pins accounted for a reasonable part of their output.

Page 1 of 1 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: