Sterling & Enamel Pin(?)

I’m not sure if this is a button, a pin, an earring, or something else. It is 2 pcs. The front piece is sterling silver & enamel. It measures about 5/16" x 1/4" & has a single post on the back side. The backing measures about 3/8" diameter. It is attached to or removed from the post by squeezing the two little tabs. It is marked with a dollar sign (or an “S” with two lines through it) & the word “Sterling” on the backing. Any info on the mark, what exactly this piece is or how to go about dating it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi there and thanks for joining us. The size and fastener are consistent with that of a lapel pin, and the word “sterling” tells us it is probably American. I do not recognize the mark, although the dollar sign is incorporated in some American marks, Continential Sheffield, for example.

How about it readers? Ideas?

Regards,

Uncle Vic

Hi Uncle Vic,

Thanks a bunch for the info. Crossing my fingers that someone out there can identify the mark, as I’ve been trying for about a year now. Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Thanks again,
Denise