Help! Identify Durgin flatware pattern

I recently acquired a Durgin flatware set. I am unable to identify the pattern. Can you help.

The set was retailed by Palmer Bachelder & Co of Boston, Mass. (1864-1884).
The set is marked with the early Durgin mark.

There are several patterns that are not illustrated in the Jewelers’ Circular and other online sources. (Bridal, 1870; Cheltenham, 1870; Olive, 1870; Athenian, 1876)
Palmer Bachelder & Co Boston 1864-1884 and  Durgin mark-sf.jpg
Durgin unknown pattern.jpg

Hi there and thanks for joining us. Phil Dreis’ excellent work, “Sterling Silver Flatware” 2d ed. shows that as Durgin’s “Bead” pattern of 1893. The example Phil illustrates has a couple of slight variations from yours, but appears basically the same.

Very nice photo work BTW, makes it a pleasure to research!

Regards,

Uncle Vic

Thanks, I appreciate you input. I’m not quite sure, however, that “Bead” is the pattern.

“Bead” is a 1893 pattern and is too different from the flatware in question.

The flatware in question was retailed by a firm that was in business from 1864-1884.

I don’t understand how an 1893 pattern could have been retailed between 1864-1884.

Good point…I considered that, and of the 37 Durgin patterns that Phil shows in his book, the Bead is the only one that is a fair match. And the date Phil shows is probably the patent date. It is possible that Durgin used the pattern for years prior to applying for a patent on it, or that the patent process took years to complete.

Perhaps some of our readers can help with the mystery?

Regards,

Uncle Vic