www.silver-collector.com
ask questions to antique silver experts
homeHome    FAQFAQ    SearchSearch     RegisterRegister    Log inLog in 

Need help identifying a silver flask!

Reply to topic

Home -> Reading American Silver Hallmarks -> Need help identifying a silver flask!

David H

Posted: 19/10/2010 
Post subject: Need help identifying a silver flask!

This is my first time posting on this site and any help would be greatly appreciated. when I was younger my family moved into a new place and I found this flask in a barn. Its been sitting in a box forever until I decided to pull it out last night and do some research to try and figure out who made it and how old it may be. I searched throught the online encyclopedia of silver marks site and the only thing I can come up with is that it may be from Reed & Barton; except there is no date mark on it. If someone can give me some insight into this I would be estatic. Oh and if possible decipher the letters on the front. Thanks:David[/img]

Description:

8.jpg

Description:

13.jpg

Description:

12.jpg

David H

Post subject: re: Need help identifying a silver flask!

Here are a few more pictures.

Description:

11.jpg

Description:

9.jpg

Description:

6.jpg

uncle vic

Hi there David and thanks for joining us. Your flask was indeed made by Reed & Barton of Taunton, Mass. and is sterling silver. R&B used date marks on its sterling holloware between 1928 and 1957, and the absence of a date mark on your flask leads me to date it as pre-1928 because the style of engraving of the monogram is late 19th or early 20th century. The number is the model or pattern number.

I can't be sure of the initials engraved on the front, but whoever did it was very skilled. I personally consider such engraving as pure artwark that enhances the beauty and value of an item such as yours. Polish it up gently with a mild silver poli9ch and enjoy it!

Regards,

Uncle Vic
David H

Posted: 20/10/2010 

Uncle Vic, thank you so much for the informaton you've provided. Unfortunately any value that it may have collected probabaly went out the window about thirty miinutes ago. I was polishing it and wasnt paying attention to what I was doing; the lid was open and I accidentally put pressure on it in the wrong direction and it broke on the lid side of the hinge. Oh well. Guess I'll know better next time..... "Kicks self in A$$". Anyways thank you for the information. David

Description:When it happened my heart dropped.

rsz_1b.jpg

Description:

rsz_c.jpg

uncle vic

Posted: 20/10/2010 

No big deal - take it to a manufacturing jeweler and its a simple job to solder the hinge back together.

Uncle Vic

Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic

Jump to: