www.silver-collector.com
ask questions to antique silver experts
homeHome    FAQFAQ    SearchSearch   

Silver Collector is now Closed

Its been a good run but these days there are more active forums for silver collectors.
If you need help reading silver marks we recommend you visit 925-1000

Thanks to everyone who's contibuted over the years, especially our fantastic moderators.

please help

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Home -> Reading Silver Hallmarks -> please help

wanderberry

Posted: 14/11/2010 
Post subject: please help

I,m so glad I found this forum.. Smile
I bought a broken pot thing, I think it used to be a condiment holder, as its got a square hole in the bottom, however, I love it for its shape, but as hard as I try I cant find what the marks are, and as for Mappin & Compy nothing only Mappin and webb,,,

can you please help.. it says mappin & compy, sheffield, 77& 78 oxford st London, then P 9 3 underneath, then 3 with a B under it, and finally I think its S.K 250
thank you Debbie

Description:

dish.jpg

Description:

bottom1.jpg

silvermakersmarks

Posted: 15/11/2010 
Post subject: re: please help

Mappin & Co were a very short lived entity so we can date your object very precisely. John Newton Mappin and his 3 brothers inherited the company of their father Joseph Mappin and renamed it Mappin Brothers. John Newton Mappin fell out with his brothers and founded his own company, Mappin & Co in 1859. He opened a shop at 77-78 Oxford Street in 1860. Mappin & Co lasted until 1864 when J N Mappin took his brother in law George Webb into partnership and the company became Mappin, Webb & Co. It became Mappin & Webb in 1868. So your pot dates from 1860-1864.

I suspect it is missing some sort of shaft up to a handle which would make it, as you suspect, a condiment holder.

P93 may be a pattern number, but I can't suggest any possibilities for the other marks.

Finally it is silverplate rather than solid silver.
wanderberry

Posted: 15/11/2010 
Post subject: re: please help

cool
thank you so much, I dont care its plate,,, its good to know the age and history behind it,, its the oldest thing I have, apart from my fella, Laughing once again thank you
Deb x

Page 1 of 1 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: