James Dixon and Sons

Hi All,

I recently received a tilting teapot. After some research, I found out that the hallmark (trumpet with banner) belongs to James Dixon and Sons and that it is not real silver but Electro Plate Britannia Metal.

The sequence of inscriptions is:
M --> unknown
“trumpet” --> JD&D trader mark
JD&S —> James Dixon and Sons
EPBM --> Electro Plate Brittania Metal
4176 —> Catalogue number
7 --> Size of the item. Probably equals half pints

Above the trunpet is an M stamped. Does anyone know what this stands for? Is this worth anything knowing it is electro plate?

If a picture is required pls send me a pm with email and I’ll send some.

kind regards,
Dries[/b]

Some additional notes:
There is no mentioning of “Sheffield” or “made in England”

Sheffield data marks for Sterling Silver have an M in 1855. Did they use the same for silver plate? If so and the M stands for 1855, this would be strange since the trumpet is only an official trademark as of 1879…

Although the M may be a date code it does not coincide with the date codes for silver so we cannot assume 1855.

Yes it will have some value. I suggest you check out completed auction listings on eBay to see what similar items have been going for.

Hi,
Thanks for your advise. I did however not find any other piece like this one. It also seems to have some ivory on it and looks much nicer than most other JD&S you can find on the web,
Attached a picture. Basically if the value is not more then let;s say 250EUR, I will clean it and put in my living room.

kind regards,
Dries
PB140765.GIF
PB140755.GIF
PB140753.GIF

It’s not a teapot - it’s a kettle, and should also have a spirit burner which would have been positioned in the circular hole in the bottom of the stand. A quick look on eBay showed a kettle with tilting stand and with burner which sold for £75.