www.silver-collector.com
ask questions to antique silver experts
homeHome    FAQFAQ    SearchSearch     RegisterRegister    Log inLog in 

Two old forks that are puzzling me ???

Reply to topic

Home -> Reading Silver Hallmarks -> Two old forks that are puzzling me ???

singingpete

Posted: 16/03/2007 
Post subject: Two old forks that are puzzling me ???

These two forks have got me puzzled , but I am still learning , I have now got all the books and recognising things slowly but struggling with these two .. The forks look interesting though ? Anybody throw some ideas on them please ?

The larger plain one has marks ' W H & S, b ?, p? , MP/B ' , but on the front it has ' CITY OF LONDON SS ' , which is a ship that sank in 1881 with the loss of 41 lives .

The patterned one has ' F N & S , ? , ? ,? , A ' , and what looks like the letters ' J C ' on the front . I was going to sling them but decided to look more closely - you never know ?

I also have some plated spoons with the word ' ORUBA ' , and ' W & H inside a triangular flag ' , reference to another Ship I think ?

Description:

fork3.jpg

Description:

fork2.jpg

Description:

fork.jpg

Daniel Franks
Site Admin

Posted: 17/03/2007 
Post subject: re: Two old forks that are puzzling me ???

Hi again Pete,
Both of the forks are silver plated. The larger plain one is made by William Hutton & Sons, in Sheffield. They started using this plate mark in 1849.
The patterned fork is lilly pattern, but I do not recognise the makers mark. I will have a look over the weekend and see what I can find for you. It is certainly Victorian plate though, the marks after the FN & S are the gothic letters EP. The JC initials would probably be those of the original owner.

As for the plated spoons, the W & H inside a flag is the makers mark for Walker & Hall, which they started using in 1861. The term Oruba is something I haven't seen on plate before. It could be to do with the RMS Oruba, or could be a fairly random plate mark.

Hope that helps
Daniel
singingpete

Post subject: re: Two old forks that are puzzling me ???

Tried to edit but got in a mess !

Last edited by singingpete on 17/03/2007; edited 1 time in total
singingpete

Post subject: Re: re: Two old forks that are puzzling me ???

singingpete wrote:
Thanks Daniel , I thought they were plated but have learnt something new - Gothic letters after F N & S = E P , no wonder Im confused ! So the plain one could have belonged to the SS City of London ? This ship has an interesting history .

I have since found Oruba spoons on ebay , the Oruba was a dummy battleship and the sellers claim the ship as previous owners with the same markings ( but then they would ) !

Thanks again , Pete

Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic

Jump to: