Help with marks please

HI

Any help with the identification of these marks would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bob
g_157.jpg

Hi Bob,
Unfortunately I canot see the makers mark to tell you who made the item (is it a salver by the way?), but the date letter is that for London in 1764.

If you can get a better image of the makers mark I may be able to find it for you…

Best regards
Daniel

Hi

Thanks for the help. I can’t seem to get a better image of the maker’s mark - it looks " in the flesh" like WG.

I attach an image of the object - it measures 39cm by 30cm and weighs almost a kilogram - any thoughts on value?

Best Regards

Bob
g_139.jpg

Hi Bob,
I think I may have got my dates mixed up on this. Can you tell me if the leopards head is crowned, as it looks like it is in your picture, but I have never seen an item like that from 1764 before!

Regards
Daniel

Hi

The head does indeed appear to be crowned. If you are willing to let me have an alternative email address, I can send you an " unreduced image".

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob,
I have been thinking about it, and it looks to me like you have a Georgian meat dish that has been later chased to look like a charger, or rose water dish. It is a lovely item i must say, even if the decoration is done later.
It is about 10 years to late to be original George II work, and looks too Vici in style to be anything else, the scene in the middle is typical of 1860’s Victoriana.

As for a price, a meat dish of that weight and size from that period would be worth around £3000-£4000 as a replacement value. Unfortunately the later chasing (no matter how good it is) will reduce that valuation, probably to about £2500-£3000, or maybe less.

I will have a look for a maker with the initials W & G from that period, and if i need it will get you to send through another picture.

I’ll post what I find tomorrow morning.
Best regards
Daniel

Hi again Bob,
So, I spent some time looking at makers, and I am now fairly sure it is either William Gould, or William Grundy, who were both making around this time. Their marks are very similar, but on Goulds mark the W & G are linked at the top, whereas on Grundys mark they are seperate.

Hoep that helps a bit
Regards
Daniel

Hi

Thanks again.The mark is definitely joined so thet would confirm your assessment as Gould.
I want to sell the item so would the sum likely to be realised be something like half of the replacement value? What do you think?

Best regards

Bob

Hi again Bob,
Its hard to say with something like this, it is so different to other things from this period. Unfortunately that can be a bad thing, as some dealers would be unwilling to buy it from you due to the later chased work, and others would offer low, again due to this work.

I should think that roughly half of the replacement value would be a good price to sell it for, or you could put it into auction and hope for a bidding war! (if you do go this way, remember there are fees associated with selling at auction)…

Best regards
Daniel