French Maker's Marks

Hello, I am new to this site. Hoping that I may find some answers, advice or good leads to information. I have a significant amount of European silverware (mainly French I’m assuming) that has been passed down to me. It all sits tucked away in boxes as I know nothing about any of it. Now I am curious and would like to find out what I can. I have been able to find some hallmarks on the internet, but the specific maker’s marks are more elusive. It there a good website or book that someone can recommend?
For example, I found that a few pieces I started to research have the Minerve (Paris et Province) hallmark. However, they all have different maker’s marks. One reads R D with a sort of 3 leaf club between them and placed slightly higher. Another reads UUSS (I think), and yet another reads Ve or Vve with a flower next to it.
I would greatly appreciate any information. A good book suggestion would be terrific as well since I am going to have my work cut out for me. I have several boxes full of silverware to explore.
Thank you for your expertise/assistance,
Caroline in Alaska

Hi Caroline,

There are two books that I’m aware of for French silver. They’re both quite old and as such they refer to silver as plate, which is the old fashioned way. It doesn’t mean silverplate.

Here they are…

OLD FRENCH PLATE Its Makers And Marks.
CRIPPS, Wilfred Jospeh

A Guide to Old French Plate
CARRÉ (L.).

The problem is that these books really concentrate on eighteenth century silver and the early 1800s. So, if you have silver more modern than this, they won’t be much use.

I can’t help with the makers marks as I don’t have either of the books and I don’t know much about french silver.

Regards // Jonathan

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I don’t think my silver is old enough for those books. I believe its mostly late 1800’s and into mid 1900’s. I’ll keep searching though. Its become this great mystery for me!

Thanks again,
Caroline

Hello,
Can you send some photos of the marks.
I probably can identify your marks.
Best regards
Ludo D’haese