UNKNOWN MARKS

I HAVE A FISH SERVING KNIFE AND FORK I’VE ESTABLISHED THE DATE AS 1866 BUT NOBODY CAN TELL ME ABOUT THE MAKER THE SCAN I HAVE IS NOT THE BEST THE MARKS ARE AS FOLLOWS R IN A SQUARE, P IN A SQUARE, & Co IN A SQUARE, L IN A SQUARE AND WHAT LOOKS LIKE TWO CROSSED BATTLE AXES OVER A ROUND SHIELD IF ANYONE COULD HELP I WOULD APPRECIATE IT ALSO THE HANDLE IS STERLING BUT THE BLADE IS ELECTRO PLATED
marks2.jpg
scan0011C.jpg

I think these marks are related to Robert Pringle & Co - London 1882, date does’nt match what you have but the marks and crossed axes does.

How have you figured out the year??

I’ve reassessed the date, i was originaly told by a dealer1866 but i think it’s 1891 myself on the handle it’s got a diamond shape with a i or a one in a circle, on top of the diamond, look’s like a Q on the right of the diamond is a six, bottom of the diamond is a three i can’t make out the left side symbol, in the middle of the diamond is capitol R and a small d top right hand side of the R .i hope i have described the marks well enough for you also i sorry about my mistakes i have made as it is the first time i have done this type of thing

Regards darryl

The marks you are describing sound like they might be a great exhibition mark or a patent registration mark.

I need to check in my books to be sure, but at the moment I’m at home with the flu! I’ll have a look for you when I get back to work next week.

Regards

Jonathan

thank you jonathan i will try to draw a diagram of the marks and post it for you hope you feel better
darryl