Hallmark?,Townmark?,Family Crest?

Was wondering if anyone has seen this type of marking before. It’s on an oval covered dish handed down from my mother inlaw. The removeable handle and lid are very heavy.
Country of origin and date range idea’s? Thank You.

I did find a marking very close to mine at a site under unidentified silver plate, CS on holloware, mine doesn’t have the line through the C and the crown is slightly different but i guess the maker could of changed the die for the mark over time. Probably no way of ever knowing the origin or date era without running into someone who actually worked for the company and recognized the piece and the mark.
CS-154x99.jpg
MVC-013S.JPG
MVC-001S.JPG

1 Like

Following. I have a lazy susan with the same marking and cannot find any info on the internet about it. Hopefully my comment will bring this back to the top.

This mark is still unidentified but is thought to be the mark of a US electroplate manufacturer. It has been suggested that CS stands for Crown Silver, but whether this is correct or, if it is, which particular Crown Silver company, is not recorded.

Phil

I have the same marking in a platter that was found in my grandfathers collection. Did you ever find out any information

Currently looking as well…trying to research.

Continental Silver Company Brooklyn New York 1920 - 1950

Hi Nitaz and welcome to the forum. Continental is certainly one of the possible candidates for this mark but none of their published marks which I have found matches the one under investigation here. Can you let us know your source please.

Phil

Just joined the forum. Will say that Continental Silver or Continental Sheffield Silver looks like a likely match: American Silverplate marks: marks and hallmarks of US makers: C

Again, these don’t match those exactly, but the similarities are strong. Also see this post from 2015. I’m linking to Page 2, but could read from the beginning to get a full picture: Silver Forums at 925-1000.com

Though a poster there wonders if it’s Crown Silver.

Anyone have a copy of Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers?

This mark is not in Rainwater’s Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers so we are still at the guessing stage.

Hi all. I realize this is several years after the original posting but in case anyone is still on the hunt I think I’ve figured this out! I stumbled upon a silver double shell bon bon tray with a handle at Goodwill with this engraved maker’s mark and have been busy searching the past few days. After digging a bit I found the same exact item for sale on Poshmark that happened to have the original sticker still on it! I was then able to corroborate this by additional Google searching. The engraving belongs to either a company/line called “Silver by Sacks.” I could not find any info on that company or collection which is now driving me crazy, but I’ll continue to dig. I hope this is helpful! Please see photos, the final photo is the bottom of my item.

Thanks for the new information and good luck with your search. However I suspect that “Sacks” will turn out to be a retailer with, of course, no connection to Saks of 5th Avenue!

Phil

I also have a very old silver tray with this mark that was handed down to me. Does anyone know if this is silver plate? Would it have another mark on it to identify sterling?

If it doesn’t say “sterling” then it probably isn’t.

Has anyone found accurate information on this silver makers mark? My mother has a serving plate with the exact mark, but I can’t find any accurate information anywhere. It’s driving me nuts trying to figure this out.

It’s still unknown as far as I know.

I have the same mystery. Would love to know who made this piece and what it’s worth. Came from my folk’s estate.
IMG_20220328_142427748

1 Like

Hello. Did you ever discover who the mark belongs to? I have a serving tray with the mark but I’ve been unable to find anything about it. There is one like it on eBay but it’s engraved and just says “ Antique Ornate American Silver Plate Serving Tray”. But that leads no where

I have this exact piece and am looking for maker & year.