www.silver-collector.com
ask questions to antique silver experts
homeHome    FAQFAQ    SearchSearch   

Silver Collector is now Closed

Its been a good run but these days there are more active forums for silver collectors.
If you need help reading silver marks we recommend you visit 925-1000

Thanks to everyone who's contibuted over the years, especially our fantastic moderators.

Weighted Sterling

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Home -> What's it worth? -> Weighted Sterling

lorraine.m

Posted: 01/11/2006 
Post subject: Weighted Sterling

What does the term "WEIGHTED" mean along with the term "STERLING" on a piece of silverware? We have some sterling candlestick holders. Does this mean that there is another non-precious metal inside the hollow cavity of the sterling silver item in order to make it more stable or to feel heavier?
Jonathan Franks
Site Admin

Posted: 02/11/2006 
Post subject: re: Weighted Sterling

I've never actually seen silverware stamped with the word 'weighted'. However, I'm sure it means exactly what you have guessed; that the sticks are sterling silver, but the weight you feel is not all silver.

I'm not sure what they would be weighted with. With old silver, candlesticks are either 'filled' or 'cast'.

The majority are filled. This means that they are made out of sheet metal and then filled most of the way with pitch. The last part is filled with plaster of paris to give a smooth base. The base is then covered in baize.

The others are cast. This means exactly what its says! They are made by pouring liquid silver into a mould and all the weight you feel is actually silver.

However the marks on your piece suggest that it is quite modern. I'm not sure whether sticks today are made in the same ways as the old ones. For instance, pitch is a fairly unpleasant material to work with and may have been replaced with something more easily managed.

I hope that helps.

Jonathan

Page 1 of 1 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: