Need help finding origin/date/purpose of an antique piece

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I’m hoping someone will be able to help me place this piece of jewelry. It’s a bit of a mystery to me. I’ve posted this piece on various online forums (eBay, Etsy, Pricescope, etc.) and so far not one person has been able to figure it out!

It’s a very heavy and large solid sterling frame pendant. It’s unmarked but tested positive for sterling silver (fyi - I did not to that horrible scratch test on the back of the piece).

The person I bought it from claimed it was Japanese - but, I honestly don’t think they are right. I believe it could be Mongolian and some have suggested Mayan.

The eyes on the warrior men seem to be scratched out or sewn shut. Possibly depicting the dead? I have no idea!

Also, if it was meant to hold an actual picture it would be one of a very unusual size… considering the narrowness and height of the frame itself.

So… does anyone have an opinion on this? Ever seen anything like it?

I appreciate any answers or guesses!

Thank you!
IMG_1131.JPG
IMG_1130.JPG
IMG_1128.JPG

really like that, going to stick my head out and say, poss help ivory piece in the middle and used for prayer etc… hope you find out… sorry not much help… good luck