www.silver-collector.com
ask questions to antique silver experts
homeHome    FAQFAQ    SearchSearch   

Silver Collector is now Closed

Its been a good run but these days there are more active forums for silver collectors.
If you need help reading silver marks we recommend you visit 925-1000

Thanks to everyone who's contibuted over the years, especially our fantastic moderators.

Hester Bateman and repousse

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Home -> Collecting British Silver -> Hester Bateman and repousse

csereduke

Posted: 17/11/2016 
Post subject: Hester Bateman and repousse

Hello,
I am interested in buying a teapot that is marked to be Hester Bateman and dated 1784. It has a silver handle and has repousse all over but does not bear any marks of the company that may have modified it. I understand that a characteristic of Bateman' s work is the neo-classical simplicity. Does this exclude the possibility that repousse work was not done under her supervision. I am hoping to view Shure's book on Bateman but would appreciate any knowledge. I am rather new to collecting.
Thank you
silvermakersmarks

Post subject: re: Hester Bateman and repousse

Modification of older silver using repoussť work was often done in Victorian times to adapt plain pieces to the more florid taste then current. There would not normally be any indication of when it was done or by whom. I would view the teapot with suspicion although I cannot say for certain whether the work was likely to have been done around the time of manufacture. However you should not let any potential lack of complete authenticity put you off a purchase if you like it.
csereduke

Thank you very much for your reply. I am not sure about the value of collecting a piece that has been so thoroughly modified. I imagine it diminishes the value of the piece significantly and makes it less collectible. It is a very nice piece but only the shape resembles Bateman's work and the marks. Again thanks for taking the time to respond.
silvermakersmarks

Posted: 18/11/2016 

Value may be diminished in some eyes but not others - it all depends what are your aims in collecting; if you are looking for an investment then maybe silver is not necessarily a good idea.
csereduke

Posted: 18/11/2016 

Good point however I don't believe any "collector" buys a new piece for their collection without considering the value, both aesthetic and monetary, of such item without it having it considered an "investment". It is evident by all the posts of "what's it worth" all over this site's forum.

Page 1 of 1 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: