Makers mark

Hello Daniel

Can you please help ID the makers mark on an Edinburgh piece I have.

Regards
Trevor
Makers mark Edinburgh.jpg

Hi Trevor,
You’ve stumped me! I can’t find any record of the makers mark in my books. I have a few other places to try so will let you know if I make any progress.

Happy Christmas
Daniel

Hi Daniel

Many thanks, I’ll do some searchng also and let you know should I find something!

Best wishes
Trevor

Hi Daniel

I have confirmation on the makers mark we have both been researching, received it today from the Edinburgh assay office as follows:

‘TC’ for ‘Thomas Cooper’ an Edinburgh silversmith mentioned in our records from 1840 until his death in 1863.

He registered two punches at this office on 2/3/1847. He appears in the Edinburgh trade directories from 1845-1863, and in the 1841 census he is described as a silversmith aged 40.

Thanks again
Trevor

Well done Trevor!

Daniel’s on holiday, but I’m sure he will be interested to read this when he gets back.

by the way, how did you go about contacting the Edinburgh assay office? Did they have a fee?

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for your reply.

Just contacted the Edinburgh assay officer, he passed my request on to an archivist she confirmed after two days! no fee reqired.

I have another piece that I cannot find the makers name, it’s a London piece dated 1746/7

Maker initials ‘FR’ (in scroll I believe) hope you can help, photo attached.

Regards
Trevor
Punch ladle 1747 Hallmarks London.jpg

Hi Trevor,
Well done finding out the Edinburgh maker, i have to admit it had stumped me!!

I will have a glance through my books tomorrow when I get a moment and try to find this ‘FR’ mark for you. From memory I can only think of Ralph Frith who used an ‘FR’ mark but it doesn’t look like his. I will let you know tomorrow when i’ve done some digging.

All the best
Daniel

Hi Daniel

Thaks for the update om ‘FR’ look forward to confirmation!

Regards
Trevor

Hi Trevor,
No success i’m afraid, i’ve checked through my books and can’t find a positive match. Its definitely not Ralph Frith thats for sure. Another one for the assay office maybe?

I was wondering if FR may be either a shop mark, overstruck of the makers mark, or whether another letter was also present in the mark, but over time its been rubbed. Let me know what you think, and i’ll keep looking.

Best regards
Daniel

Hi Daniel

Thanks for trying, I’ll do some further digging and let you know!

Regards
Trevor