Restoring Oxidation?

I’m collecting the Community Fleur de Luce pattern of silverplate flatware – one or two pieces at a time! I try to buy only pieces that still have the original oxidation, but sometimes I can’t resist a bargain piece that’s been cleaned a bit too thoroughly! Is it possible to restore the intentional oxidation that was put on some vintage silverplate patterns? More specifically, would it be possible for me to restore this oxidation “at home”?

Thank you for your input.

Hi Minims,

Just to be sure that we’re talking about the same thing… ‘Oxidation’ on the surface of silver causes the silver to have a darker, blue color. If thats what you want, then the following should do the trick…

You can oxidise silver by applying a modern liquid silver polish generously and then leaving it for a day or two.

Wipe off the polish and you will find that the silver has darkened. Repeat until you get the color you want.

Hope that helps / Jonathan

Jonathan:

Thank you for the suggestion! I’ll try it on a “spare” piece and report back in a day or two…

If the above-mentioned solutions do not work, try nitric acid to refine it over.

LATE REPLY

Liver of sulfur can be used but should be applied by a silver restorer.

Jeff