Please visit our other websites: Ganoksin Jewelry Making Resource | Orchid Jewelry Making Forums | International Gem Society | IGS Gemstone and Gemology Forums

Silver Collector Forums

12'' ladle mystery

Hello, this piece has been in my wife’s family since about 1880. At mid- handle is a sword and knight’s armor. Any help on identyfying and possible value would be appreciated. Thankyou
full handle.jpg
hallmark.jpg
total.jpg

Its American sterling silver and made by Gorham, very old and valuable. The mark is one of their oldest, reading from left to right, a lion, an anchor, and an old English “G”.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

Thanks for your response. By ‘very valuable’ can you gave me a rough idea of what that might be? (My wife said she would be happy with $100, but i am thinking this may be somewhat under the current value). Thanks again.

The value would depend to some degree on the weight. Weigh it and post that. $100 is low - if its very heavy for the size I’d say double that or maybe more. My wife and I picked up a very heavy two piece Gorham salad serving set with the same marks at the Miami Beach antique show a few years ago for $280 and I thought we got a doggone good deal.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

IT WEIGHS 7 OUNCES. THANKS

$200 would be a fair price.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

FINE. WOULD YOU RECOMMEND CLEANING OR JUST SELL ‘AS IS’… THANKS AGAIN

Carefully clean it, taking care to not rub the marks.
Use a silversmith’s horsehair brush if you have one…they cost about $10 - most antique stores sell them.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

Thank you very much.