Another attempt at hallmarks

I tried to photograph the hallmarks again on this old spoon in hopes that someone could decipher the date letter for me. It’s the one on the far left that looks somewhat like an “e”. All the marks are sort of “squashed” and worn, but the other three (right to left) are the initials WR", the lion rampart, the panther head (erased?) and then the date letter which in the photo, looks like an “e” lying on it’s side. Thanks!
P1010139.JPG

Assuming this is a London mark (and I think that the second from left mark is most likely the crowned leopard’s head of London) and assuming it is an “e” then the most likely date is 1780. It could be 1740, but I don’t think the punch shape is right for the earlier date. 1780 is still within the period when hallmarks were applied to the stem of spoons.

Thanks for coming to the rescue again, silvermakersmarks–that 1780 date would be more in line with the rest of the articles I purchased from this lady…most were from the late 1700’s to the early 1800’s. I sincerely appreciate all your help! Jack.

P.S. Why do the hallmarks on some of these earlier items appear compressed or “squashed”…my guess would be that they were punched before the final hammering out of the article, but I’m really not sure.

Yes, that’s exactly what happened. When the hallmarks were applied to the narrow stem it distorted the silver so it was hammered back into shape when it was returned to the silversmith. It was this sort of damage which eventually led to the hallmarks being applied closer to the end of the handles where there is more width of metal.

Incidentally I have removed your original post as it is no longer relevant.

Thanks again for all your help! Jack.

P.S. I know this isn’t the proper forum, and the picture quality is poor, but since you are so good at hallmarks, I was just wondering if you recognized these on an old 21-22k crucifix? (If you need to delete this I understand–just couldn’t find the correct venue for it!)
P1010118.JPG

Sorry, no idea at all.

Don’t worry about trying to find a “correct” place for posts - they all get looked at.

O.K.—THANKS!!!