Can someone identify the use of this serving piece?

Can anyone tell me what this serving piece is used for? In the shape of a clam shell that opens up to two seperate halves. Its actually silver plate. Many thanks in advance.
004 (495x479).jpg
003 (495x411).jpg

I have been told that this piece is actually a muffin warmer…

Yes that seems to agree with the results of a Google image search for muffin warmer. I knew I’d seen a name for one of these, but just couldn’t think what it was. Thanks for letting us know.