Does anybody have any information of this Silver mounter company at the turn of the 19th century caracterised by EN by the side of the hall mark Any information gratefully received David Griffin
The following is taken from The Directory of Gold and Silversmiths, Jewellers and Allied Traders 1838-1914 by John Culme:
"Ebenezer Newman, who appears to have been the sole partner in Ebenezer Newman & Co, is first recorded at 32 Great Bath Street, Farringdon Road, EC, and 72 Rosoman Street, Clerkenwell, EC [both 2.5.1883]. He then removed in succession to 18 Pulleney Terrace, Pulleney Street, Barnsbury Road, N [? private 27.8.1885] and 2 King Square, Goswell Road, Clerkenwell, EC [16.4.1886]. Newman moved thereafter to 1 & 2 Leonard Street, City Road, EC [6.11.1899, 10.9.1903], where E. Newman & Co advertised in 1892 as gold and silver mounters, walking and umbrella stick mounters, novelties in great variety; special orders to shippers, and where they are listed (1897, 1916) as gold and silver stick and whip mounters.
“G.W. Austin, many years in business at Bridgewater Square, EC, is reported in 1894 to have become a representative of E. Newman & Co.”