Help Identifying These Bowls Please?

Hi,

I am new to this forum, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I have an antique silver item that I am struggling to find out where it was made and by whom. It is a pair of large bowls, I think they are sugar bowls. They each measure 16cm high, 22cm in width and 13cm depth and weigh a total of 1.54kg together. The interior is gilded.

They are beautifully made and are of real quality in my opinion. They are marked in four different places on each bowl. The marks are extremely difficult to photograph, as they are only 1mm by 0.5mm in size. I have attached the best pictures I could get using a microscope camera. They are also marked on the platform beneath the bowl, and using a very small dental mirror and light, I can read the initials AGS. My thoughts are that they are possibly Portuguese, Italian or Spanish, and perhaps mid 19th century,
but I could be wrong. Further images are available.

I am hoping someone out there will be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Jsphoto

Image 01
Image 02
Image 05
Image 06
Image 07

I think that the small mark is a French “weevil” import mark. I guess AGS could be the original maker or the French importer.

Phil

Phil,

Thank you for your reply, and help in identifying a mark on my item.
Can I ask does the weevil mark mean the sugar bowls were made in another country, and imported by someone into France.

Thanks,

Jsphoto

Yes, that’s what it means.