Large Greek mythology tray - ID help needed

Hi. I recently acquired a large silver plated tray with 3D sculptures depicting Greek mythology around the perimeter. I’ve been doing a lot of research figuring out what is depicted, but so far I haven’t been able to figure out who made it or when it was made. Any help with this is appreciated. It has only one hallmark and I have not been able to find the hallmark on any websites. There is significant wear in some places so I think it is pretty old.

The tray is 28.25 x 13.5 x 2.125 inches and weighs 11.3 pounds.

hallmark
tray
group
hunt
hunter
nymphs
artemis
Dionysus
feet

Here’s what I know about the imagery:

• The faces in the corners are Artemis (Greek goddess of the hunt, called Diane by the Romans) and Dionysus (Greek god of wine, called Bacchus by the Romans).
  • The group of people from left to right are Dionysus (holding a pinecone topped staff), Artemis (holding a harp), and nymphs caring for the guy who raised Dionysus (who was a drunk).
  • The stag scene with hunting dogs is from a popular legend where a hunter watched Artemis bathing naked in a stream. She caught him and turned him into a stag, which his hunting dogs attacked.
  • other scenery is various wilderness scenes with mountain nymphs, cupids, Artemis hunting, and grapes.
  • The feet are fish, which I think is because Artemis was originally a river nymph.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like