PETER & JOHNATHAN BATEMAN 1790 CADDY SPOON

i HAVE A SILVER CADDY SPPON PETER & JOHNATHAN BATEMAN 1790 any idea as to value?

would be appreciated

Thanks

Debs :smiley:

Several hundred pounds, if its right.

Can you post a picture?

Regards

Jonathan

Many thanks for your response hope the pics are ok

Debbie :slight_smile:
DSC01332_edited-2.jpg

also pic of spoon :smiley:
Thank you debbie
DSC01330_edited-1.jpg

Dear Johnathan do you think I am correct having seen the pics?

Thanks

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

It certainly looks right from the picture.

I would say that it should have an insurance value of around £600.

Regards / Jonathan

Hi,
I bought a very similar item at an auction last week (London 1798,Bateman). I paid £95 for it.
But for insurance purposes, it’s irreplacable and difficult to value - but if it was ‘mislaid’ an insurance value of£150 would not be out of the question
Hope this helps
Regards
John

The Peter and Jonathan Bateman mark is extremely rare and much more valuable than the Hester Bateman mark. However, I would say that a Hester Bateman caddy spoon, depending on condition, style and the quality of the marks, could be worth £300 - £400 from an insurance point of view. You made a good purchase!

re. Peter & Jonatah 1790 Caddy Spoon

I have a virtually identical spoon but it is a Peter and Anne Bateman spoon. Is this possible? Even the pattern on the spoon’s handle is the same!

Bill

Yes, its very possible. Anne was Jonathan’s wife and Peter and Anne registered their mark after Jonathan’s death. Even before Jonathan died (or hester retired for that matter) we can assume that Anne was very much involved in the business. Although the mark changed, it is essentially the same firm and so we would expect to see a continuation in the style and design of items produced.

Unfortunately, the Peter and Anne mark carries no particular premium.