Problem created by date letter

Good day, all. I have here a lovely hefty tablespoon, Hanoverian pattern without rat tail, lion passant, crowned leopard, date letter Q, maker’s mark TE over GS. Easy as pie to ID? Not on your nelly, it seems. At least, not to me. Please see the two pics.

Jan.

Weight: 68,5 g. Length: 21.2 cm. TE over GS in that four-lobed shape seems to be regarded as unidentifiable. It is stated they might probably be Thomas Evans & George Smith III. The partnership could also be Thomas Eustace & George Smith. These are makers who started silversmithing in the middle 1760s. So one might think this spoon dates from about then. But the Q date mark seems to indicate 1731. Between 1731 and 1771 I find no other Q shaped like it. Now the Hanoverian pattern without rat tail dates from 1730 to 1770, so that fits in.
But the problem to me is that either the suggested makers are too recent for the year mark, or the year mark is too old for the assumed makers.
Perhaps you can shed some light on the muddle, if you please!
Regards
Jan

Light-shedding coming up…

The date letter is actually O for 1769. It is in the same orientation as the lion passant so turn your picture 90° anti-clockwise and it will match the letter on my example:

Phil

My dear Phil, you never fail to surprise me; you have my greatest appreciation! If I may, what is your understanding on the mark TE over GS?
Regards
Jan

We can’t be sure exactly who they were as the relevant register has been destroyed. However Evans and Smith would be the most likely candidates. Thomas Eustace, normally considered an Exeter silversmith, seems to have been working in Exeter during at least part of the period covered by my dates-seen for this mark.

Thank you, Phil!
Regards
Jan