.835 Silver Tray Marked Posen

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some help with this. I believe these marks are from later in their company history. I stumbled upon a post that said later in the companys life some items were stamped Posen but were produced by other makers and simply retailed by them.

Do these marks indicate it was made by Posen or by another makers and retailed by them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(And yes it was 6 dollars!)

Fairly comprehensive survey of this German silversmith was undertaken on line a while back:
https://www.smpub.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000054.html

The marks in there are all .800 standard. Yours is a higher mark.

That together with the use of the elaborate P may indicate as the writer suggests the Posen Groups were the retailers.

The writer of the 2004 synopsis suggests because the company was Jewish it may have suffered the fate of other Jewish enterprises in prewar Germany

It may well have done, and it may have been “sold” to someone with party connections who found the established sliver retailer name of value despite the religious opprobrium and kept it.

CRWW

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I had overlooked the part of the article that referred to the p inside the crown as a posen mark and thought it was the mark of of another maker they retailed (like the triangle with stars in the article).

In your opinion, am i taking liberties by assuming it was made roughly between 1888 and 1900ish?

The article seemed to imply if the piece has a p in a crown mark and lacked the makers mark of another company it may have been made by them?

I would appreciate any comment on my interpretation of the article!

Thanks again for taking the time to help!