Please visit our other websites: Ganoksin Jewelry Making Resource | Orchid Jewelry Making Forums | International Gem Society | IGS Gemstone and Gemology Forums

Silver Collector Forums

925 but no hallmark.

I have a napkin ring with 925 engraved on it, and an indecipherable (to me!) inscription above it, but no hallmark. Is this likely to be genuine sterling silver, and why 925 but no normal hallmark?

Joncon - “925” denotes the purity of the silver, or 92.5% silver and the other 7.5% some other metal, usually copper, and is the same pruity required in the UK to bear the legal “hallmarks”. Technically, silver made in the USA does not contain “hallmarks”, but rather “maker’s marks” and there is no uniform system of marking and dating as has existed in the UK for hundreds of years.

“925” and the word “sterling” are interchangable.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

Uncle Vic

Thanks for your reply. I guess I’ll just have to get used to not seeing a hallmark on American silver!

Regards

Joncon