Birmingham pocket watch case

Hi - I have recently started collecting pocket watches and I am looking for help interpreting the hallmark on a watch I purchased. A picture of the hallmark is attached.

I have attempted to identify the hallmark using the Birmingham Assay Office web-site. The problem I have is that I believe the date letter ‘g’ is for 1881and checking the early hallmarks section, it would appear that the maker’s mark S.L corresponds to Sarah Loveridge of 69 Bath Street. If it is her mark, according to the census of 1851 she was born in 1790! - in 1881she would be 91!

I note that she had a son George who was also a watchmaker - I wondered whether he could have continued using his Mother’s mark.

Alternatively I have misidentified the marks - assistance would be appreciated.

jem
03 edit.jpg

This is indeed a Birmingham hallmark for 1881. The Birmingham Assay Office’s Early Silver Hallmarks section is very useful - but only for makers’ registrations up to 1858. However the only SL in my reference for watchcase manufacturers is Sarah Loveridge so I cannot suggest an alternative.

It is possible that another family member may have continued to use the mark but I have no evidence either way. George Loveridge went on to found the manufacturing silversmith company George Loveridge & Co so he is certainly a possibility but in the 1881 census he is described as a “jeweller and factor” - no mention of watches. All very inconclusive I fear.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Interestingly in the 1851 census Sarah Loveridge, then 61, has ‘watch hand manufacturer’ as her occupation and George, her 20 year old unmarried son is also occupied as a ‘watch hand manufacturer’. I believe George registered his company in 1897 a few years after the watch - so perhaps initially he was working on watch cases.

jem