Brennan Sterling - Sophisticated Simplicity Tea Service info

Hello, I am interested in getting information on William Brennan Sterling & on his Helsinki, Finland, grand prise winning, Millennium design, named “Sophisticated Simplicity”. We own a complete tea service, in that pattern, that is not available to the open market yet. We would like to get more history on Mr. Brennan & the set. Where can we get an honest appraisal on it? If we decide to put it up for auction, is it better to sell it before it is available on the open market, after it’s available or after the designer passes away (Heaven Forbid)? Are places like Sotheby’s & Phillip de Pury, the best auction houses for the sale of sterling silver tea services? Thanks so much for your help & information!!

Hi there and thanks for joining us. Sorry, but I’ve never heard of William Brennan as a silver maker. A Google search turns up that he made some very modern silver jewelry, but that’s all.

In general, sterling tea sets are not very popular right now and the prices have fallen over recent years. For example, five piece sterling tea sets by good American makers dating from the early 1900s sell for about $2,500.

Most major auction houses today have a minimum value that they will fool with that is generally above what a modern tea set would be worth. Ebay is probably the best bet to attract a wide market for your set.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

Uncle vic, Thank you so much for your quick responce. It is greatly appeciated! I made the mistake of trying another site & received the rudiest reply from a Scott Martin. I guess some people never grow up!! I look forward to using this site more often.
Regards