Hi everyone. I have just joined the site because I have inherited some silver and silver plate and some of the pieces have me looking for help…as the marks are ones I cannot find anywhere so far. So I thought I would post some pics and a description…and maybe you folks can help me figure out what I have here.
First up is a set of what I believe are grapefruit spoons that belonged to my Great grandfather. He was born in about 1850. They appear to be sterling, not plate, but I am not sure. A magnet does not stick to them and there is no mark of EP or EPNS…just a mark of some sort on the front and then marks on the back. All are similar…but one is slightly different; smaller fiddle head and different marks on front and back.
The first three spoons have a mark that is quite complex and may be a crustacean(??) on the front of the handle. And they have 3 marks on the back.
- a capital L and V separated by a star
- a diamond shaped lozenge with an A over a maltese cross
- a cartouche with the head of a man? King? facing right
The 4th spoon has an imprint that is vaguely diamond shaped on the front and it has 3 marks on the back;
- a cartouche with a head of a man (with a beard) in it?
- a diamond shaped lozenge with letters in it…the only ones I can read is an R or a B
- a round mark with a scary looking face in it…maybe a lion or a devil???
I will attach a link to pics…maybe you can help…maybe not. I would just like to know more about them. Family connections are terrific…but it would be good to know if they are Canadian or possibly Scottish as that is the family background.
Thanks very much,