David Crichton Rait of Glasgow, in London?

David Crichton Rait was a well-known silversmith in C19 Glasgow. However, I have found a dessert fork with his mark, assayed in London (1825). I see that Phil has included DCR in his list of London makers. Was DCR active in both Glasgow and London?
The photos show DCR’s mark in Glasgow (1829, top) and London (1825, lower).

I believe that what is likely to have happened here is that Rait bought silver from a London maker already hallmarked in London and then overstamped the maker’s mark with his own. Note the non-clean striking of Rait’s mark above as support for this conjecture.

Phil

Brilliant Phil, many thanks. I’m using your site so much, I wonder if there’s some way I can contribute something to it or you for all your kindness and trouble. Let me know…
Nick

I’m just pleased that my efforts are appreciated. The site is a retirement project so it certainly keeps me occupied; I’d rather be doing this than playing golf or whatever retired people are supposed to do!

Ha ha! You’re supposed to be gardening Phil. At least that what my wife says I should be doing. Instead of collecting silver and inventorying it. Your efforts are very much appreciated. I don’t know how you have the patience sometimes…
And since I’m here (yet again) do you think the maker above is Henry Holland? It doesn’t much resemble the mark on your site…
Thanks and all the best
Nick

Yes, it’s Henry Holland. That version is one of the variations registered by Holland with much less pronounced double circles, one in 1869 and another in 1870.