DJS in heart(maker)/walking lion/lion head?/m - marking

Hi silverlovers,

I have surfed the internet looking for Hallmarks, didn’t find these.
Suppose they’re English, (walking lion), but not sure as there are no ‘reignor’ marks (queen/king) and the date ‘m’ does not correspond.
Who can help me.

A desperate belgian guy
Peter
PICT4401 hallmarks.jpg

Peter - I’m the American silver guy, but just happened to have a British mark book handy, and your mark is for sterling (the lion), London (the lepord head) and 1967 (the italic ‘m’). I did not see the maker’s mark in that book.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

1 Like

Dear Uncle Vic,

So I was not far from it !

Thanks a lot for your additional information, I 'll continue my search on the makers mark.

have a nice day,

rgds,
Peter

Uncle Vic,

Website 1000-925 does not show dates later then 1935 for london
Maybe you can post/add the letter date list from 1935 - ?? on the website.

Seen the worn qualty of the hallmarks, I thought it would be older !
I enheritted the silver piece from my aunt, she told me it was ‘antique’, maybe somebody fooled her , when they sold it to her !!

rgds,
Peter

Peter, I don’t know of a way to post the post-1935 date letters. My book goes through 1974 for the London date letters. As far as I can tell, the first use of italics was 1956 and that series ends with a “t” in my book in 1974.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

Uncle Vic,

You could forward your data (scann from your book? ) to the webmaster of 925.1000.

rgds,
Peter

Hi there,

Did you manage to find out about these at all as I seem to have the same markings on a couple of candle sticks which were in my mum and dads loft.

Thanks

Hi Johnreayner

This is a very old post and in the interim the maker’s mark has been identified as that of D J Silver Repairs of Clerkenwell Road, London. They are almost certainly no longer in business as the latest hallmark date for which I have seen their mark is 1975. If you want to check the date on your candlesticks you can either post a picture here or check my website (search the web for my posting ID).

Phil

1 Like

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your response. I have attached a picture of the candlesticks and the markings. Thanks for taking a look for me.

Are they worth anything? If so do you know where I could sell them?

Thanks

Solid silver is always worth something. To sell you could try an antique dealer but be prepared to negotiate the price upwards. Ebay is also a good place to sell. It’s also a good place to find potential values; check their “Sold” listings for something similar to your candlesticks.

Thanks for the advice I will have a look. Do you know the date of them or does it still remain a mystery.

Thanks

John

Date letter m is 1967/68.

Thanks for all your help