Does cube-shaped mark with letters E & P: stand for Electro Plated Nickel or a Manufacturer/Designer

Thank you in advance for reading my post. I have spent a lot of time researching this mark and can not figure it out. It is a cube-shaped mark with an “E” and “P” on the metal clasp area of a vintage alligator clutch and I assumed it was the initials or a manufacturer or designer. But a google search stated that EP can stand for for Electro plated nickel silver. I am hoping of course it is a manufacturer’s mark–and not simply electro plated nickel silver. :grin: The mark is on the metal portion of the clutch. Any information would be appreciated.
mark copy

Not a mark I recognise, but my feeling is that EP are the manufacturer’s initials. However, as there appear to be no other marks, it is highly unlikely that the material is silver. So it could still be electroplated, or just a base white metal alloy of some kind.

Phil

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to provide this information. It is very useful, and I will continue to research manufacturers’ marks.

I noticed some engraving script under the square nut symbol and it says “B” and “M” or “H” 8-400.
Any information would be appreciated. Perhaps the “8-400” means something related to silver?

If it’s the very faint marks which you are talking about they look as if they would have been scratched on by the owner and therefore would have no significance to anybody but him/her.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate this information. I have searched and searched on many websites so this is disappointing. Thank you for taking the time to read my post below here:
To improve my searches, could you kindly tell me the best search term to use describe the cube-shaped image housing the EP letters? Nothing comes up for searches on “Cube symbols” Thank you for reading my post.