Please visit our other websites: Ganoksin Jewelry Making Resource | Orchid Jewelry Making Forums | International Gem Society | IGS Gemstone and Gemology Forums

Does serving beverages from silver items, affect the taste?

Hello, I hope this won’t sound like a strange question - however I keep getting asked this question and thought I would like to ask the experts on this. Does serving beverages from silver items, affect the taste? For example, does water taste different if being served from a silver container?

I’m sorry if this is not the right category to ask, the first time I posted it auto-added in the Photography section. However, any comments are greatly appreciated - thank you.

The short answer is “no”. Silver is one of the ‘noble’ metals meaning it does not combine easily with other substances so it does not impart a ‘taste’ to beverages. It has been favored for eons as “the” material for drinking vessels for this very reason.

Regards,

Uncle Vic

Hello Uncle Vic,

Thank you for your kind reply and for sharing!

Best Wishes,

Mel

I’m sorry if this is not the right category to ask, the first time I posted it auto-added in the Photography section. However, any comments are greatly appreciated - thank you.

Hi watson

If you would like to start your query again in a new post I can get rid of this response.

Keep in mind that eating and drinking from silver has a health benefit in that it’s antimicrobial!