Edinburgh silver maker name ID

Hi Daniel

I have an Edinburgh piece and would ask if you can ID the makers name ‘P G’

Thanks as always
Trevor
Hallmarks Soup ladle Edinburgh 1818.jpg

Hi Trevor,
A slightly easier one for me this time!
PG is the mark of P. Gill, a silversmith registered in Aberdeen. I have seen his mark on Edinburgh hallmarked cutlery before.

Best regards
Daniel

Hi Daniel

Many thanks, I could only find in my book a name not mark for Peter Gilmore?

But aim going with your confirmation!

I have sent the other London mark ‘F R’ script to the London assay office some days ago, will inform you should I get an answer?

Many thanks again
Trevor

Hi Trevor,
Oddly I can’t find a mark for Gilmore either, I’ll keep searching and see what I come up with.
Yes please let me know what they say! I’ve never seen that FR mark before so it would be interesting to learn whose it was.

All the best
Daniel

Hi Daniel

Had an email responce from London assay office, this ones taken them a lot of research!
Of which the last paragraph confirms the maker as ‘Thomas Rush’ who entered this mark at ‘Goldsmiths hall’ on 17th June 1739 (this being one of three).

So it was a ‘T R’ script and not ‘F R’ as I thought and they confirmed!

Nice to have a result!

Kind Regards
Trevor

Hi Trevor,
Good news! I had been wondering if we had got the first letter right, but it looks so much like an F it had me fooled.

Thank goodness for the assay offices.

Best regards
Daniel

Hi Daniel

I have received confirmation from the Edinburgh assay office in relation to the two makers marks I submitted.

(1) ‘PG’ confirmed as you suggested as Peter Gill of Aberdeen.

(2) ‘AW’ Again confirmed as Andrew Wilkie.

Regards
Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Again thank goodness for the assay offices!

I am a little surprised they confirmed Wilkie however. I had done some research into him myself and the only mark I could find was registered a year later.
I guess they are right not me!

Best regards
Daniel

Hi Daniel

For info I quote from the assay office’s text as follows:

“Andrew Wilkie was first mentioned in as submitting work for assay as early as 1811. He was a freeman of the incorporation of goldsmiths in 1813.
From 1816-1845 his name appears in the trade directories as a goldsmith.
From 1831-1833 he was a ‘Deacon of the incorporation’ It is likely that he also retailed the work of other makers, so some pieces may have more than one set of sponsor’s mark”

Hope this is of some use?

Regards and thanks
Trevor

That does help a little, it explains why his name isn’t recorded in Jacksons until 1816 anyway.

All the best
Daniel

Indeed the information on Wilkie is spot on.

I can only add a a little window dressing.

Andrew Wilkie was the son of a cabinetmaker and apprenticed to John Ziegler starting in 1805. He had a brother David who was also booked as an apprentice to John Ziegler on the same day in Septemeber 1805 as Andrew. And he did become free in 1813 as previously stated.

But in the 19th century, work wasincreasingly submitted by unfreemen in Edinburgh. Additionally some fremen worked in larger shops earl;y on and may not have had their own mark appearing with any frequency. So that plus the provincial mark assaying in Edinburgh can make 19th century Edinburgh marks quite interesting to interpret.

Hi,
Thank you all for your invaluable in-put,very interesting indeed!

Regards
Trevor