Please visit our other websites: Ganoksin Jewelry Making Resource | Orchid Jewelry Making Forums | International Gem Society | IGS Gemstone and Gemology Forums

Silver Collector Forums

Enameled berry or nut spoon with unknown hallmarks

My second post tonight. I have a small slotted spoon with a very small hallmark on it. It was too small to take a picture of but I did take some of the piece. I am hoping to get some info on the pattern name (if any), and the maker.

Just above the bowl is the word Sterling. And using a magnifying glass I also see, just below the monogram on the back of the spoon, a capital letter “W” and next to it is a winged lion, dragon or phoenix, leftward facing. The lion is sitting and appears to have paws in the air. The lion is “angular”; not very detailed with swirls, etc. I couldn’t find any other marks.

The front of the spoon has enameling and a child’s or cherub’s face (or so it appears).

This could be American but the marks sort of look British to me (I’m no expert though).
Cherub3.jpg
Cherub1.jpg

Hi there,
The spoon is not English, as English silver is never marked Sterling. It may well be American, but I can’t say for sure. Hopefully someone else will be able to shed some light on it for you.

Regards
Daniel

There are a couple of American marks that might match yours.

The Frank M. Whiting Co., North Attleboro, Massachusetts used a mark very much like you describe. It had the W in a shield.
In 1896 they stopped using that mark as a result of a lawsuit by the Whiting Mfg. Co., New York City. Their mark has a lion standing and facing left. This mark also had a W, but in a circle.

Thank you for your replies. I’ll have to take a closer look at the “W”. I didn’t realize that the word “Sterling” wasn’t used on British silver. I’m glad I found this site and will share it with my brother and sister so they can find out more about their silver too.