George III wine funnel - help please!

Hi

I recently acquired this funnel - I can work out that it is London 1809 but the maker’s mark is pretty much all but disappeared.

It does have a crest though, and I wondered if anyone had any idea what the crest might be for. Any thoughts gratefully received! This is my first piece of silver, so I’m (hopefully) learning fast!

Thanks
Andy

The crest is of the family that originally owned it. However, its very hard to match a crest to a family. Many families may have had similar or identical crests. To have a good fighting chance, you really need the full coat of arms with motto but even in this case, it is still not always easy.

If you’re interested in learning more about english heraldry, the definitive reference book is Fairbairn’s Book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland. Its out of print but its fairly ease to pick up a second hand edition. Try abebooks.

Hope that helps.

Regards // Jonathan

Jonathan

Thank you - I will try and do a bit of research on the crest - I may be lucky! I’m going to try the local library and see if they might have the book you mention.

Thanks again,
Andy