Gone fishin'

I’m headed out for a 10 day fishing trip and no computer where I’m going. See y’all when I get back.

Uncle Vic

I like fishing
What type do you do?
Fly
Rod/Real???

Mike

Hi Mike - I’m into just about any kind of fishing, but my reeal pasion is blue water big game fishing. I own my own boat - a classic 31 Bertram I’ve had for over 25 years. My favorite spot - no, don’t take my own boat that far - is the Tropic Star Lodge in Pinas Bay Panaama. www.tropicstar.com I caught and relesesed an estimated 500 lb. black marlin there last Auguest at a time my cancer doctors doctors doubted I’d be taking out the garbage.

Now for the bad news…I have beeen fighting cnceer now for some 5 or 6 years and its about to get the best of me. I’ll be 70 in a couple of months. Effective last week I’ve checkeked myself into a Hospice programe to ease things for my family in my final days. Some of the drugs I’m takig make me type like a third grader but I’m still able to function in a near normal fashion.

Entering a Hospice program takes some thought as there isa definite negative connotation to doing it, but the advantages far outwiegh those.

In any event, I’ve enjoyed participating in this forum for many years and hope to continue until The Lord finally calls.

Keep the Faith,

Uncle Vic

Sorry to hear that. The disease is a terribel ildness.
However it is also a sikness that can improve for a period. Hope that your interest and possitive atitude will help.
My best wishes from Denmark, hope to still read a lot of post from you in future.

I’m sure Daniel and I speak for everyone on this forum when we say that we’re really sorry to hear that Uncle Vic. You’ve always been the heart of our community and I have no doubt that you are just as passionate, kind and helpful to everyone you know. We all have to go some day but until that day comes, I hope that you will be sure to enjoy life as much as you have clearly always done. Nothing can help more than a good mental attitude and I already know that you have that!

Best wishes from us all,

Jonathan & Daniel.

Do we know of any news?
Regards
John

No news at all. In this case I fear that no news is not good news.

Phil

How very very sad.

I know it’s been over a year, but I came across Uncle Vic’s obituary, and thought others would appreciate seeing it. His last post above was posted just the day before he died.

“Victor Leander Roy III, a native and resident of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, died Saturday, May 26th, 2012 at his camp on the Tickfaw River after a four-year battle with cancer. He was 69 years old. Vic was a retired attorney having received his Juris Doctorate degree from Louisiana State University. He was the founder of the Uncle Vic International Invitational Billfish Tournament at Port Eads, Louisiana. The only rule for the Uncle Vic Invitational was that Uncle Vic was always the winner. He was one of the best Blue Marlin fishermen the Gulf of Mexico has ever seen. He is survived by his wife of 45 years, Elaine Harris Roy; his son, Captain Brent Ewing Roy; his daughter and son-in-law, Jennifer and Chuck Oliver; seven grandchildren, Chase, Hunter and Maxwell Roy and Mary, Kate, Frances and Elizabeth Oliver; two sisters and a brother-in-law, Peg Austin and Kitty and Bodo Claus. He was predeceased by his parents, Margaret Ewing Roy and Victor Leander Roy Jr. A private family service will be held at St. James Episcopal Church. Friends and family are invited to a Celebration of Vic’s life at the home of … at 12:30 pm, Wed. May 30th. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Hospice of Baton Rouge or Pennington Cancer Center. The family would like to extend a special thanks to Dr. Gerald Militello, Dr. Andrew Lauve, Dr. Anna Pou, Hospice of Baton Rouge and to all of our
wonderful family and friends for their care and support during this difficult time.”

Thanks so much for that. I think we all knew what must have happened but it’s good to have confirmation. Uncle Vic has been much missed.

Phil