Please visit our other websites: Ganoksin Jewelry Making Resource | Orchid Jewelry Making Forums | International Gem Society | IGS Gemstone and Gemology Forums

Silver Collector Forums

gorman mfg & co info wanted

hi , i have recently aquired a small silver ? bowl made by GORMAN MFG & CO ,around the base/foot/stand it has leaves with small berries and on the bottom it is marked WITH

SMALL ANCHOR IN A SHIELD
GORMAN MFG & CO
SILVER SOLDERED
F

it also has had 104/16 scratched into the base ,i just wondered if you knew any info about it .
Dimensions
width at the top 17 cm (8.5 at the base)
height 5 cm

thanks
warren
44 012.JPG
44 015.JPG

Our resident American silver expert is away on a fishing trip at the moment so I’ll start the ball rolling by saying that your bowl is unfortunately not silver. The use of the term “silver soldered” implies electroplate. I don’t have the expertise to give you an estimate of the bowl’s age.

THANK YOU

Hi there Warren - I’m back from the fishing trip and the fish won this time. As SMM stated, your item is silverplated, not solid silver. Gorham date marked certain of its holloware from the 1860s until the 1970s. Your item carries the “F” which is the date mark for 1873, although I’m not certain the company used the date marks on non-sterling silver goods.

Regards,

Uncle Vic