Hallmark Help Please

Good Morning

I have a set of 4 Spoons - they appear to be silver - can anyone help with the hallmark - I’d love to know their age

Also I have a lovely Knife Hallmarked - what sort of Knife is it ? And what date is it?

Thank you
Karen :slight_smile:
[/img]
0 004.JPG
0 012.JPG
00 (1).JPG

silver = The lion
from Sheffild - the crown
N=1905 O=1881

It is a knife for Cake

WOW - thank you so much for your reply :slight_smile:

Can you tell me what this last hallmark is on a set of Sugar Tongs? I think they are plated - but what does the rest mean?
Thank you again
3 008.JPG

Assuming that the ornate knife is about 5-6 inches long it is a butter knife, although it shares similarities with a fish knife. It was most likely intended as a presentation and display piece rather than for practical use. There may have been a matching preserve spoon. The hallmarks show that it was assayed in Sheffield in 1912 (the date letter is u, not n) and the makers were Henry Williamson Ltd.

The spoons were made by Gladwin Ltd of Sheffield and assayed in 1931. The shape of the punch shows that it is from one of the 2 letter cycles which started in 1918 and 1943.

Your tongs are, as you thought, plated. “M&S” and “S” signify Maxfield & Sons of Sheffield and the last mark is BP for Britannia Plate; i.e. electroplate on Britannia metal.

Thank you so much for your reply - the knife is small, just over 5 inchs, its very ornate.

I really appreciate your help, its very kind of you, glad I know more about my items now

Best wishes