Hallmark Puzzle - Prince of Wales feathers/Fleur de lys + "D&H" +gondola possibly

Can’t work out the second symbol - looks like an upside down animal. But looking at some old posts it seems it could be a man in a boat and so could be Deykin &Harrison Birmingham circa 1920. Can anyone help please? Does this mean it is plate rather than silver? The mark appears on an 8 piece spoon set (6 spoons 2 servers) in an original box.

Yes, Deykin & Harrison and you are correct in your supposition that the mark is a man standing in a boat. It is an electroplate mark and as such is difficult to date.

Phil

1 Like

I have one of these spoons and a jeweller friend has told me that a hallmark means some degree or fineness of silver, though not plated. Can you direct me to some more information about electroplate hallmarks? Thanks.

Your jeweller friend is correct about hallmarks. However, many people incorrectly call every mark on metal a hallmark. The key point about a hallmark is that it is applied by an independent body which has tested that the precious metal content is as claimed. It therefore follows that electroplate, which has no silver content apart from a microscopically thin surface layer, cannot be hallmarked; any such marks on electroplate are applied by the manufacturers themselves.

A very good site for electroplate marks is https://www.silvercollection.it. You may have to drill down into the site to isolate electroplate marks from any particular country and you should bear in mind that electroplate marks are not as well documented as silver marks.

Phil

The 2nd mark is not a boat. It is a dragon. The tail has a small fork at the end & feet are clear below. This is on a mustard spoon. The makers mark is D&H.

Hi happylion and welcome here. Deykin & Harrison’s mark is most certainly a man standing in a boat, normally referred to as a gondola, which accounts for one of their trademarks being “Venetian Silver”. Images of this sort become distorted over the years which may explain what you think you can see.