Hallmarks on a small silver plate

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the marks on a small silver plate (about 6 inches in diameter) which I bought in France a few years ago.

I realise that the EP mark means it’s silver plate but can’t find anything about the other marks which are a B, an ampersand, a C or a G (I think), GS and then of course EP. I assume the 2146 underneath means however many of them were made?

Any help would be appreciated! :smiley:
IMG_1347 (373x500).jpg
IMG_1348 (500x373).jpg

It’s B&G, for Boardman & Glossop of Sheffield. GS may stand for German Silver, an old name for nickel-silver, which of course is a base metal alloy with no silver content. 2146 is more likely to be the pattern number.

Thanks so much for your speedy reply!

Is there anyway to date it from the hallmarks or not?? :confused:

There is no direct way to date this mark. However Boardman & Glossop changed their name to Boardman, Glossop & Co in 1883. Their sterling silver mark changed at that point and later became “BG&Co”, so if it is possible to show that their electroplate trade mark also changed then we can say that your plate dates to 1883 or before. All of the electroplate marks of theirs which I have seen illustrated show the B&G initials so I can’t be sure about that dating. However the GS points to an early-ish date as the term nickel silver replaced it around the end of the 19th century.

Thanks so much for your help with this. I wasn’t getting anywhere researching this online for myself so finding this forum full of knowledgeable people has been great. It’s nice to know where the plate came from as I’d assumed if we found it in France, it was made in France!!

Thanks again! :wink: