Help needed to identify a mark.

Hello All,

By way of introduction; I am fairly new to collecting, starting only a couple of months ago. I have been reading and studying the topic for about a year. The more I read the more facinating and exciting the field becomes.

At the moment, I am buying items which are clearly hallmarked, nil repairs and attractive to the eye. Rarity and investment has not been a factor (as yet).

I have found that I am gravitating more towards the Georgian period and have purchased a number of nice items by Hester Bateman, Peter and Ann Bateman and David and Robert Hennell.

One of my early buys was an 8" sugar castor made in Edinburgh 1892 but in the Georgian style. It is clearly hallmarked but the maker is one which I am having difficulty in identifying.

The maker is J M T.

Any assistance in identifying this silversmith and any information on them would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking forward to being an active member of this forum.

Thanks.

Alan. :smiley:

Hi Alan and welcome to the forum.

There is a very good online database of Scottish silversmiths on the web site of the Incorporation of Goldsmiths of the City of Edinburgh. They require you to sign up before using the site, but it is free and if you have an interest in Scottish silversmiths at whatever level it can be very useful. They illustrate several JMT marks registered by John Maitland Talbot from 1892, one of which is likely to be yours.

Thanks for that - I will check it out.

Alan :smiley: