Help to Identify Pattern, Maker, Date

Hello,
If anyone can help identify the pattern, maker and date for this fork and spoon, I would appreciate it.
They look the same …. BUT … the floral pattern is different on the front of the handle of the fork and the spoon. The backs look the same. Is this a multi-motif pattern, with different pieces in the pattern having variations in the design? They are stamped on the back with: Sterling and Mauser MFG. CO.
Thanks so much.
Jill
fork and spoon 4.jpg
fork and spoon 3.jpg
fork and spoon 2.jpg

Hello Jill -

I’ve looked this up in several sources, but I can’t seem to find this pattern listed for Mauser, it may have been somewhat uncommon. Could you try to post a picture of the marks on the back just for clarity’s sake? I’m more familiar with Mauser’s holloware, rather than flatware. The American silver moderator here, Uncle Vic, seems very knowledgeable about Mauser - I bet he’ll be able to ID it for you! Since they have the same markings, as well as the same basic shape, I think you’re right about it being a multi-motif pattern.

Lisa

Hi Jill -

I’ve kept looking, but the only thing I can find is this same pattern listed on the Replacements.com website as Mauser Mfg Co. pattern MMS4. I suppose this means they weren’t able to find a name for the pattern either, but you might want to check it out anyway.

Lisa

Hello Lisa and Uncle Vic,
Lisa - thanks for additional information re: pattern MMS4
I have added pictures of marks on the backs - perhaps this sheds more light on identification of the pattern and date
Thank you
Jill
Mauser 3.jpg
Mauser 2.jpg
Mauser 1.jpg

Good Morning, Jill -

Actually, your additional pictures are very helpful! Although it says Mauser Mfg Co, it shows the makers mark for Dominick and Haff, a high end silver company based in New York. This is listed as their pattern “No. 10” introduced in 1896, and possibly withdrawn shortly thereafter.

This is very interesting, because I can find no relationship between these companies. In 1903, Mauser merged with the Roger Williams Silver Co, and Hayes and McFarland to form the Mt. Vernon Company silversmiths, which was in turn purchased by Gorham in 1913. D&H was bought out by Reed and Barton in 1928. Other than the fact that both Mauser and D&H were based in New York, I can’t find a connection. Yet another silver mystery!

Lisa

Lisa,
All so very interesting !! Historical mysteries …
Thanks
Jill

Most interesting. Some of the manufacturers also had retail shops and would mark other maker’s goods with their own mark as a retail mark. The D&H mark looks original and the Mauser Mfg. Co. was added later as you seldom see the words “Mauser Mfg. Co” without the unicorn mark as well. Another possibility is that the owner of the D&H items took them to Mauser for some sort of modification or engraving.

Again, must unusual.

Regards,

Uncle Vic