Help with identifying hallmark

This set has silver marks HH which I know is Harrison Bros and Howson but I don’t have a clue about the other hallmark in the picture I attached??
I also wonder does anybody have information on Richard Patterson and Co Highstreet Belfast.
Thanks to one and all in advance :ok_hand:

I think both items are steel, which is why I couldn’t find anything about the Richard, but the marking used by Bros and Howson means it’s pre-1978, as it doesn’t have the LTD.

Thanks but what does the history marks mean I can’t find them on any of the silver databases normally it’s the town Sheffield etc I would just love to know more about them before I go to auction with the set

The first photo is not very clear, I couldn’t see the mark. I believe you won’t find any information in the database about silver, because they are made of stainless steel. The blade is definitely made of steel and I believe that the ends of the handle after the horns could also be made of steel, but I have some doubts. Bring a strong magnet close to the blade to see if it sticks and bring it closer to the end of the handle.

Definitely sterling silver magnet doesn’t stick blade is steel alright :ok_hand:

I understand, cool. Well the “HH” is from Harrison Bros and Howson, by analogy then we will have that the “++” is from Richard Patterson and Co. Researching Richard Patterson and Co I didn’t find anything of relevant content, leaving items and none made of metal.

I would put the description like this: Knife and fork set made in partnership between Harrison Bros and Howson and Richard Patterson and Co with steel blades and handles made from deer antler and sterling silver.

Thanks for all the help very kind and I really appreciate it :ok_hand:

1 Like

That is not a good test for sterling, a magnet will not stick to brass or copper etc, and could be silver plated over another non-magnetic material. Could not find Paterson in my old English and Irish listings. .

1 Like

I agree with you, your speech was perfect. I assumed that in addition to not being magnetic, the tips had the traditional English hallmark for the year and being sterling.
Like this set:
https://www.thesheffieldcutleryshop.co.uk/shop/harrison-bros-howson-sheffield-stag-horn-antler-handle-sterling-silver-capped-ferruled-6-piece-carving-set-dated-1884/

http://www.hevac-heritage.org/victorian_engineers/musgrave's/musgrave's.htm

He toke over the highstreet business from Musgraves a reputable name in Belfast of the day