I have a marrow spoon, PLEase, do you know the maker etc?

I hope I was able to resize the photo and you can view.
I have searched for this maker and it has consumed me, I am tired!!! Many thanks, Annette

HELLO, WITH SOME FRIENDLY ADVICE ON HOW TO ADD A PHOTO, I WAS ABLE TO ADD A PICTURE THAT HAS A LARGER IMAGE, IT IS BELOW AND IN THE “FILENAME”, YOU HAVE TO CLICK ON THIS TO SEE THE IMAGE. PLEASE VIEW AND SHARE WHAT YOU KNOW, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!
Thanks so much, Annette
In the meantime I will try and see how to open the file… I am learning!

the letters seem to read:

B I U S

The first symbol seems to be or looks like the roman numeral 2, followed by the B I U S . I know the B is correct and the S is correct, the middle I U is questionable, I think the I is correct, the U , not sure.
Between the B I US and the EP (electroplate mark) there is a S
The mark reads: (best to my knowledge and vision, ha):

II (roman # 2) - B I U S - S - EP - A1 - ENGLAND

I hope this helps, thank you so much! Annette
marrow-spoon-mark-004.gif

Hi Annette

We can try to help but the image you posted is way too small to read the marks.

In the next day or two, I will post a tutorial explaining how to use Google’s excellent free tool ‘Picassa’ to easily resize images for posting on this site.

Picassa is very easy to use, so if you can’t wait for my tutorial, just download it and try by yourself.

you can find it here…

picasa.google.com/

Good luck!!

Hi Annete, thanks for uploading a larger image.

The marks tell us the following…

EP - stands for electroplate. This means that the piece is silverplated.

A1 - indicates the quality of the silverplate. Its means that the piece will have originally been plated with a generous amount of silver.

The remaining marks are the maker’s marks, but from the photo I can’t quite read the letters. If you can read the remaining letters, please post them so that we can try to help further.

Regards // Jonathan

Hi Annete,

First thing - please don’t keep editing your original post. Instead, click the post reply button and put your reply in there. That way, its easy to follow our conversation.

Is it possible that the middle section, that you believe reads b-i-u-s, might actually read b-r-o-s??

Also, do you think that the first symbol which appears to be the roman numeral ‘II’, might actually be a gothic capital letter ‘M’?

I’ve looked through my books on plate marks and I must admit that I can’t find a perfect match. Plate marks were never recorded by a central body in the same way that sterling maker’s marks were. There are literally thousands of unattributed plate marks and it is possible that we won’t be able to identify the marks. But lets not give up yet!

regards // jonathan

OK, thanks for the tip on posting, I was wondering about that, thanks you! Yes, actually, on the first symbol, it could possibly be and I feel real sure now that I look at it in a different light, yes, the first is a gothic M and the second could possibly be BROS…
YOU ARE GOOD! I think that is the hardest part, trying to determine the mark… once you have pointed out ideas I see what is actually there, before it is more of a blur.
I have to say, even if we never know the actual maker, date etc of this marrow spoon, I will THANK YOU,THANK YOU so much for all your help. I have never been assisted so well and with such kindness… thank you Jonathan

Annette
Charleston, SC
USA

Thanks Annette,

I have one book left to check but unfortunately I have lent that to a colleague. I should get it back next week and I’ll post something just as soon as I do.

In the meantime, I’m going to make a guess that the mark might be an undocumented mark for Mappin Brothers. They used a lot of different marks which often included a Gothic ‘M’. With a leap of the imagination, I could even suggest that the ‘S’ mark after the ‘Bros’ mark, might indicate Sheffield as Mappin Bros had workshops in London and Sheffield.

That said, if you asked me for a professional appraisal, I would have to say maker unknown.

If I make anymore progress, I’ll let you know.

Regards // Jonathan

P.S. make sure to tell your friends about us!! We really hope to build up an active community of enthusiasts like yourself.