Identification needed: goblet, serving dish, silver kettle, silver box

Apologies for the apparent duplicate post, I registered as a new user and didn’t realise I would only be able to add one image to my posts at first.

My father inherited a number of items from his grandparents, and we need some help identifying the origin, age, and possibly history of each item. Any help will be appreciated, thank you!

1. SERVING TRAY
My first post, Identification needed: serving tray, shows item 1 of this collection. Thanks to @silvermakersmarks for the help on this item already.

2. SERVING DISH WITH CERAMIC BOWL
This dish screws open and allows hot water to be poured into the silver receptacle at the bottom, to keep food warm. The ceramic looks to be hand-painted. Unfortunately, the only mark on the base is a number ‘2’

3. GOBLET
Goblet standing ±250mm tall, with a repeating pattern around the cup and base. The markings are in two separate rectangles, showing ‘WMF’ and ‘NS’. There are two other marks as well above and below this lettering.

4. SILVER KETTLE ON BURNER
Kettle with a stand, including a burner. The kettle can be tilted inside the stand, or removed from the burner completely.

5. SILVER BOX WITH AUTOMATIC DOUBLE-DOOR HANDLE
Silver box with a hinged handle mechanic, that opens doors on both sides as it is lifted. The box is held within a stand which seems to emulate branches or sticks. (Our grandmother used to hide Quality Street chocolates in here from the kids :blush:)

All of your pieces are electroplated rather than silver as none of them have any indication of silver content.

1. With “2” being the only mark it will not be possible to identify the origin of this piece.

2. WMF is a German company: Württembergische Metallwaren Fabrik. NS stands for nickel silver which is a base metal with no silver content at all.

3. I don’t recognise this mark.

4. Your “Quality Street” box is electroplated - the Old English style letters are EPNS for electroplated nickel silver. The manufacturer is Frederick Wilson & Co of Sheffield. It probably dates between 1880 and 1916 (when the company was taken over).

Thanks so much, Phil. I really appreciate your help.

Do you perhaps have any suggestion where I can get some help with nrs. 2 and 4?

There is another forum which is currently a lot more active than this one at Silver Forums at 925-1000.com. Somebody there will probably recognise the mark on the tea kettle.

1 Like