Interesting brooch

Hello everyone, I am new to this site but I hope you can help me find some information about a brooch I bought in a mixed lot recentley. It’s a shaped bar type brooch with an anchor, a heart and a cross through the middle. There is a small flower at each end as well. I understand that the symbols could mean hope faith and charity but they are not in that order. The other interesting thing is that it has a chester hallmark, makers mark of MBS, lion passant but the date letter has been distoted in the shaping of the brooch. There is a capital D next to the hallmark but I’m not sure that has anything to do with anything.
I will try to work out how to put a picture on here but any info you might have from the description would be very helpfull.
Thanks, Louise

MBS is probably Meyer Brothers of Caroline Street, Birmingham, but a picture is essential to be able to confirm the identification.

Thanks for the reply but would a birmingham maker have his goods assayed in chester??
And I still can’t get a pictue on here :slight_smile:

I’m struggling to get a clear pic of the hallmarks but I will keep trying.

Yes, extremely common. In fact Birmingham manufacturers were in the majority at Chester. Chester, being a smaller and less busy office than Birmingham was able to turn goods round faster.