Please visit our other websites: Ganoksin Jewelry Making Resource | Orchid Jewelry Making Forums | International Gem Society | IGS Gemstone and Gemology Forums

Silver Collector Forums

Is it true that silver utensils can detect poisoned food?


#1

A question for the experts - from reading books trying to uncover some history regarding the fact that in days past it was said that using silver utensils were able to detect if food was poisoned? Is their any truth to this and if so why, something about the color changing if their was poison to be found?

Any insights to this would be most appreciated, thank you!


#2

Mel - I’m not sure, but my grandmother used to pick mushrooms in her yard and boil them with a silver spoon in the water - if the spoon turned black she’d throw them away as ‘poison’. I never saw the spoon turn black so she may have been just messing with me?

Regards,

Uncle Vic